Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, April 17, 2009

A life without oatmeal?

My doctor says it's highly unlikely.
The daycare says they've never seen it before.
I can't find anything online.
BUT I'M ALMOST POSITIVE it is true!!!

I think Robbie is allergic to oatmeal touching his skin.

When we brought Robbie home from the hospital, we started using the pink J&J brand baby lotion that we got several bottles of at our baby showers. I felt like his skin was still really dry, so we switched to Aveeno lotion which has the "colloidial oatmeal" in it to improve skin condition. Robbie constantly had/has sensitive skin issues. He'd break out into these little dime sized rough/scaly dry patches. On our doctor's recommendation, we started using Eucerin lotion and Dove unscented/sensitive skin bar soap. We double rinse all of this clothing/bedding and use only a teeny tiny amount of sensitive skin fabric softener. The dry spots cleared up.

A couple of months ago we started Robbie on cereals. He took to rice very well. He took to oatmeal really well. Then, I started noticing that his chin and area around his mouth was really red and dry several hours after eating. I stopped all oatmeal and it cleared up. I got to thinking about Aveeno's lotion we used to use that had oatmeal in it. I asked the pediatrician if he could be allergic... but he doubted it. Oatmeal isn't supposed to be allergenic... oatmeal is good for skin... he's not breaking into hives all over his belly like babies do when they've injested something they are allergic to.

And yet... we started back on oatmeal (just a tablespoon at day) this week. I also bought some barley. His chin is red again and I found a scaley dry patch on his belly tonight after his bath.

Is he allergic? Doesn't that make sense? Will my poor baby never know the joy of Quaker Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal, of granola in yogurt, or of warm oatmeal cookies? Is he doomed to a life without oatmeal? OR am I just overreacting?

After all... how could oatmeal touching skin cause a reaction, but eating it causes no problem...

Maybe I'm just crazy. What do you think?

1 comment:

Emily Barlow said...

No idea - I can ask the good Doctor though. :) At least he isn't allergic to chocolate.