
Today our church had a kick off day for a community outreach service concept called "Go Love Indy". The idea is to DO something. Don't just throw money at a problem or say you want to help. Actually go do something. Actually go help. Leaders at the church organized nearly 800 volunteers into several community service projects. Read more about it here.
I volunteered for "HOSTS Equipping." My shift was 12pm-3pm and I was told that I would be hole punching, collating, assembling, etc. the vocabulary cards and project kits for the HOSTS program that services local elementary schools. The HOSTS program takes community volunteers and pairs them up with elementary school children who struggle to read. The volunteers go to the schools and read with the kids and work to build their confidence and skills.
So anyways. I dropped Robbie off with Jack and it was about 11am when I got back to Indy, so I went ahead and went to the church thinking I could start my shift early. Unfortunately, the HOSTS equipping room was emptying out and they were heading out to lunch. Soooo... I went wandering around the building. I came across a group working on the "Quilting with a Purpose" project. I told the leader that I had about an hour until my shift started and asked if there was anything I could do to help.
"Can you sew?"
Um... kinda... a straight stitch... nothing fancy.
And sew (hee hee) I was put to work sewing bean bags for weighted vests.
The "Quilting with a Purpose" group was working on weighted quilts and weighted vests for a local special education program. The vests have pockets in them for various weighted bean bags. The weighted quilts and the weighted vests are very expensive to purchase (over $100 each) and the school doesn't have enough money to purchase any more, although they are needed. The weighted vests and quilts are apparently very calming to children who have certain special needs.
At noon, I went and worked at the HOSTS project, but we finished up everything in about an hour, so went back to my sewing machine and worked until every bean bag was complete! This was a great day and I'm glad that I went and did something. What are you going to do?




2 comments:
That's my girl!
That's awesome Mandy. Glad you had a great day. The program sounds like a great idea.
Post a Comment