Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, September 8, 2008

The Gory Details


Several people have wanted all the gory details, so here they are! If you aren't into hearing about labor experiences, I would suggest skipping this post!


So, my doctor wanted to induce me on September 1st due to some complications with my placenta. It was aging too fast and had calcified spots on it. She was afraid that if the baby was in there too much longer that he would start to suffer nutritionally. It turns out that he did get a little distressed in there because I had meconium in my amniotic fluid when they eventually broke my water. At 8am on the 1st, Sam and I went to the hospital. Because I had group B strep infection, they started me on a course of antibiotics to kill the infection. After being on fluids and antibiotics for a while, they started me on the Pitocin to induce contractions. I started having very mild to moderate contractions that lasted all day. Nothing too painful or unmanageable. However, each time they checked me, I really hadn't made any progress. About 7pm they stopped the meds, unhooked all my iv's, and let me take a shower and have dinner. They then gave me Cervadil (to help "ripen" me) and a sleeping pill. The next morning, I had breakfast and we started the whole thing over again: IV fluids, antibiotics, Pitocin.


A little while after, the doctor came in and broke my water which was really gross. Ewww.... the contractions started speeding up and becoming really intense. When they got to the point I was in a lot of pain I requested and received my epidural. God bless anesthesiologists. Around 3 or 4pm they check me and I was 4cm dialated. The nurse said she thought we'd have the baby around 9 or 10pm. Not to long after this, I started having really intense pain on my left side. This was worse than any other pain I'd had so far. Each time I had a contraction, the pain would sear and I would cry. They called the anesthesiologist back in and he added another huge dose of meds to my iv. He said that the pain was from my body working harder than the medicine could handle. Sure enough, they checked me again at 4:30 and I was completely dialated. That's right. I went from 4cm to 10cm in about a half-hour. I started pushing at 4:45 and about 45 minutes later little Robbie arrived. The nurses were all shocked at how quickly everything went because it was my first baby. I personally felt like it was long enough. :)


I only had to have 1 stitch for a small tear. (Ick) I'm doing really well overall and feel a little better each day. There have been a few random crying jags. Thank you to all of my girlfriends who made me aware that this would happen. Sam has been doing most all of the baby care so I can rest and relax. I am so lucky to have him! He has to go back to work this Friday so I will be flying solo. Robbie is super pleasant and absolutely adorable. I love him more each day.


I guess that sums it up! Thanks to everyone for your care and concern. Your support has been so wonderful!

2 comments:

Emily Barlow said...

I love you guys! Give Robbie a kiss and hug for me :)

Katy Gorrell said...

Thanks for the gory details...I think for some strange reason, after having gone through it before you want to swap war stories. Glad things went smoothly (smooth is probably the wrong word, because you did actually birth a human, but I'm not sure what to use in its place...) and congratulations!!